Friday, January 18, 2008

CONSOLES -vs- PC?

Over at Toms Hardware Ben & Rob discuss trends in the gaming market. One very critical point, is the fact that frequently mediocre console games are outselling top PC games buy huge margins. In many cases, good cross-platform games like Call of Duty 4 managed to snag a much larger number of purchases on the 360 compared to the PC. One of the COD4 developers recently complained publicly about the vast number of pirated copies being played online via the PC. Makes you wonder, if consoles are practically a sure thing for game sales, why would anyone with a half a brain bother developing a title just for PC? Especially if all people are going to do is steal it. The numbers they toss around in this video are down right scary. I personally felt like this year was one of the better years for the PC gaming market. I bought a number of fantastic games for my PC this year: Bioshock, Call of Duty 4, and the Orange Box. Unfortunately everyone of those games are also available on my 360. Why is that bad? Well because they look just as good on my $300.00 360 as they do on my $1200+ PC. One thing they did not mention which I think is a huge consideration for console gaming is the rental factor. Thats right, I can play any game I want on my console legally for $8.00 or less. I can't keep it, but honestly I don't replay that many games anyhow. Think about it.

No comments:

 
Template hacked by Garrett